- Iodine is required for the synthesis of the thyroid hormones.
- The sea foods are best sources of iodine. They are found in smaller amounts in milk, meat, vegetables and cereals, etc.
- The deficiency will lead to:
- Goitre (Enlargement of thyroid glands, which is found as a swelling hooks like butterfly in lower part of the front of the neck).
- Decreased intelligence, hearing defects, speech defects in children.
- Spontaneous abortion, miscarriage.
- Use of iodized salt.
- Increased intake of sea food.
- Health Education
- The Iodised salt pocket will be shown with "smiling sun" logo.
Back To Previous Page | Page last updated date: 15-10-2021