- Caused by bacteria corny bacterium diptheriae.
- It involves tonsils, pharynx, larynx, nose, skin, conjunctiva or vagina.
- There will be asymmetrical grayish, whitish membrane, nasal discharge.
- Transmitted by contact with a patient or carrier.
- Report to local health authority.
- Effective way of control is immunisation with diptheria toxoid. At present it is given as DPT in 45 days, 75 days, 105 days of age and at 18 months as booster and as DT in 5 years of age in India.
- Disinfection of articles soiled by discharge of patient.
Back To Previous Page | Page last updated date: 15-10-2021